Ok, I'll forgo acknowledging the fact that its been three weeks since I updated last - I'm not that great at staying on top of this, we all know that by now.
The past few weeks have actually been quite relaxing compared to staff weeks of the past. Gail's bathroom is quickly coming to completion - I visited Gail three times this week to finish the mudding and sanding process. We will finish the project on our next staff week, all we have left is to paint and put trim up.
Ken, Adam and I managed to swing some really cheap skiing tickets for Saturday the 21st of March. Our neighbor Jerry's son go to the county grade school and was able to get discount tickets since its towards the end of the skiing season, so we spent $20 on lift ticket and ski rentals. I quickly realized that I don't enjoy going very fast downhills, but I enjoy going at a steady pace to enjoy the scenery as well as strategically dodge other skiers and obstacles provided by mother nature.
I was able to go to Dayton on the 25th to somewhat surprise Caitlin at her reception of the Miriyam Award from UD. Its always great to go back to Dayton and spend time with Caitlin, and I always make sure to get some quality time in with Andy - but it can also be quite overwhelming when I don't have much time to stay and so many great people I want to spend time with. I hope that in the future I'll have the ability to spend some more time there so I'm less rushed and flustered.
That weekend (the 26th thru 28th of March) the staff took some time to go on retreat before our busy season of the summer begins. We traveled to Jeffer's Tree Farm in Athens, OH to focus on rest and relaxation led by Jana Strom and Allison Leigh from UD. It was a really great time to reflect on our personal lives and where we may be lacking, as well as our lives in community and where we can grow. I was hit by the stark reality that I have been neglecting my personal needs as well as my prayer life and relationship with God. So I've been committed, at least since last weekend, to spending some time in my room each night before I go to bed reading, journaling, praying, and relaxing so that I can be better in tune with God, myself, and those around me. It's been going great so far.
The remainder of last week was quite busy. We had some people over for dinner and we also hosted by Butch and Jeannette, and went to a reconciliation service in Clarksburg. This upcoming week we dive into Holy Week, welcoming returning volunteers (as well as some new volunteers) to the Farm. However, this week is a bit different than our typical group weeks. We have worksites Monday through Wednesday, then Holy Thursday we deliver Easter baskets to many of our homeowners followed by a Sedar Supper and foot washing at our parish. That night we have all-night adoration in our chapel to precede our Good Friday 10-mile hike. I am really looking forward to this week because of how deeply spiritual it is and also because Caitlin is visiting for the entire week, along with Andy and Jama. The volunteers leave on Holy Saturday so that we can celebrate Easter and prepare for more groups of volunteers to arrive on Easter Monday.
The warmth and light of spring has been a great reward as well, although this upcoming week is predicting a mix of rain and snow. Hopefully this Holy Week is fruitful for everyone on the other side of the screen, and hopefully you'll keep checking my blog despite my long and infrequent updates. :)